Thursday, February 11, 2010

Daniel Dae Kim as Chin Ho

If you grew up in the '60s, you probably remember the "Hawaii Five-O" theme. My elementary school band even learned to play it. It conjures visions of hula dancers, war memorials, high rises, and Jack Lord.

Years later, the imagery in the series' opening remains vivid. Long before my parents ever brought me back a sarong from their vacation, Jack Lord and crew showed me what Hawaii was all about. Even a couple of years ago, on one of my first Lost jaunts to Oahu, my tour guide pointed out that famous balcony where Jack Lord whipped around to stare at the camera during opening credits.

I remember "Kam Fong as Chin Ho."

Maybe next year I'll be revising that line: "Daniel Dae Kim as Chin Ho."

Ed Kos, whose Lost tours are a whole lot of knowledgeable fun, sent me a link to news from the local ABC affiliate. Daniel Dae Kim has been cast in a pilot of Hawaii Five-O scheduled for filming next month.

I'm glad that the island will be home (at least potentially) to another series. In the intervening years since the original H50, Lost has become the iconic island series. It'll be interesting to see how a 2010 version of the '60s' classic will portray Honolulu.

The link is KITV news: Daniel Dae Kim in H50.

No comments:

Post a Comment